16.3.09

Important question of the day

Are pantyhose and tights the same thing?  For whatever reason, I have developed the impression that they are different.  That pantyhose always have that strange boxer-briefs top half, darker than the legs, whereas tights are solid.  I got this idea because we always brought "tights" for ballet, to wear under the leotard.  Pantyhose, which were always purchased from the supermarket last minute gave the wearer a strange garter look.  An obvious line would encircle the upper, upper thigh while the leg clad in the proper tights would be solid.  Anyway after googling this question that has plagued me for many years now, I find there is no difference.  The dictionary uses tights in the definition of pantyhose.  Right now it appears to be that the difference is regional, like soda vs. pop. vs. coke.  I will get to the bottom of this mystery, yet.

At least I know what stockings are, and to celebrate this achievement, here's an old ad;