22.7.09

Painfully long work lunch

The last topic of discussion was earthquakes.  Not the causes, not actual disasters, not thought out ways of preparing for them, just earthquakes. I spent the whole time wishing for one to happen right then and there.

I can't stand this kind of stuff.  These long, long discussions that can't even really be considered discussion.  They really resemble monologues, with a shared theme, for all the interaction involved.  Maybe monologue is too generous, because that can include some sort of unique insight.  Everything is an announcement.  It's very "I heard this about that", followed by "Yeah, I heard that too, but I also heard that about this." It's like having the 10PM TV newscast to lunch.  And just any old nighttime news either, but the local Sunday evening news.

 And that kind of behavior is really what blogs are for.