1.12.09

Today's the day, maybe.

I'm supposed to find out about my raise today. I've already been told that it's less than what I asked for, but that if I look at what will be my hourly rate it'll be significant.  Which is odd considering that I'm a salary worker, not hourly.  Ominous.
I've been waiting impatiently for several hours now to get the news that I was told I would receive today.  I'm starting to get a bit annoyed.  Shock and horror.  It's killing me, I want to know right now how it is that they are planning on screwing me over.  My pet theory is that they will make me an hourly worker (see above) drop my hours, divide my old salary by my new reduced hours, and ta-da, significant increase in hourly pay!  To do this they would have to drop at least 8 hours a week, and although it would be nice work only four days a week, its not what I want.  Nor is it realistic.
A decent increase in salary (what I would consider a decent, not great, but decent) with reduced hours might work.  I really wish I had a mentor right now.  I feel that if they offer me 60% or less of what I asked for (very nicely, I might add) is an insult.  Unless I can get more vacation time and reduced hours.  However, I don't really know.   I don't know anyway who's gone after a big raise.  Or even negotiated their salary.  I don't know anybody else who does the kind of job I do.  I don't know anyone who's argued, civilly, with their boss(es).
The only thing I can do to guarantee the raise I want is to threaten to walk.  But I can't do that right now, and a threat I can't make good on is less than useless. I keep telling myself, just 6 more months here and then I'm gone, regardless.  Which does make me feel better, but it won't really help get rid of the sting of being told that my work is not worth that much. The worst part is that I did quite a bit of salary research and took into account the amount of time I spend on the different duties of my job, the company's size, and the nature of the company, so the amount I asked for is considerably less than what average salary my position typically pays.  So getting a low offer is going to suck extra hard.
Anyway, I await with bated breath for their answer.