15.1.09

The sad fate of my flats

I love flat shoes.  I love my heels too, but if you're taking the bus/subway, walking up a hill, and then five flights of stairs, they can be a bit of a hassle.  Just a bit.  So, to adapt to my environment, I've developed a love for fancy flats.  Shiny, metallic, canvas, bows, cut out patterns, pointy toe or round, they're all good.  You can also wear very "outrageous" flats, the high heel equivalent could never been worn to work without looking like a stripper.  Comfy and attention-getting, with a thin veneer of sensibility and sophistication. The downside of these shoes is how quickly they wear out.  None of mine have lasted more than three months, and that's pushing it.  Heels, particularly platform heels, don't wear out very fast.  The bottom of those shoes are are as hard as rocks, more likely to damage the pavement than to wear out.
So my newest flats are beginning to show signs of decay, the fabric is starting to wear out near the toes, the sole is beginning to separate, they're stretching out a bit too much... if only they were more like $5 bucks a pair instead of $20.